April Showers Came a Little Early

A New Installment in Our Wellness Series

13 Mar April Showers Came a Little Early

Last week, my son frantically called me at work to say the family room was raining.

“Oh sweetie”, I said. “It’s not a big deal. Just turn off the supply line behind the toilet, use some towels to mop up and I’ll be home later.”

Oh—My—Gosh!   It had been “raining” for about an hour before my son came home and discovered the problem. A valve in our upstairs toilet had disintegrated, allowing water to pour out of the bowl and onto the bathroom floor, through the bedroom carpeting and down to the family room below. Water was pouring through every light fixture and fire sprinkler and the room was indeed, raining!

It took both of my sons and my husband quite a while to get things under control and when I got home, everything seemed to have returned to normal.    NOT!    By the morning, our hardwood floors were cupping and the carpeting upstairs was still soaked.

Our insurance company sent help and large fans and dehumidifiers became part of our lives for the next 5 days. This was a preemptive approach to avoid mold growth.

Did you know..

that mold could grow in as little as 12-48 hours? And it can wreak havoc on our respiratory systems.

10 common symptoms of mold:

  1. Breathing difficulty
  2. Sinus problems
  3. Sore throat
  4. Irritated skin
  5. Headaches
  6. Trouble concentrating
  7. Dizziness
  8. Fatigue
  9. Nausea
  10. Diarrhea


Our homes offer lots of food for this unwelcome intruder. Recognizing mold before it can become a serious problem is important.

Watch for conditions such as these:

  1. Water leaks or flooding
  2. Leaking roof or attic
  3. Condensation
  4. Humidity
  5. Damp basements
  6. Water stains on walls or other surfaces
  7. Peeling or cracking paint or wall
  8. Rust on nails or metal pipes
  9. Warping wood or drywall
  10. Blocked gutters
  11. Poor ventilation
  12. Standing water
  13. Dust (mold grows on dust)


The food source and environment for mold to grow is much more likely with significantly more growth found in areas located below the home, inside walls, or between floors. Unfortunately, the mold growth visible to us on the floor, wall or ceiling materials is usually 2 to 3 times larger on the other side of the floor, wall or ceiling, which significantly increases the square footage of the overall mold growth area. Basically, if we see 10-sq. ft. of visible mold, it is likely there is 30-sq. feet or more growth on the other side of the building materials where the mold was observed. This is why hiring a professional is key.

Lab testing can be done to confirm if there is an abnormal increase in the mold spores present in the air or growing on building materials as well as to identify the type of molds present. A professional company like SOS Solutions can schedule a lab to do testing and also to provide a protocol to follow for recommendations on the proper removal and cleaning of mold. Once mold has been removed, it is recommended to have Mold Clearance Testing done to ensure the mold spore count levels are within normal limits for the home and that the overall well-being of the home’s occupants is protected.”